Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

26 March 2005

You're just a buffet, you're a vegetable.

"This is a complex case with serious issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wisest to always err on the side of life."
-- George W. Bush, in re: the Terri Schiavo case

Hmmmmmm.

In his five years as governor of Texas, the state executed 131 prisoners -- far more than any other state. This despite numerous examples of lawyers on Texas death penalty cases being under the influence of alcohol and cocaine, and/or asleep during the trials.

All this via Tom Tomorrow.

My own thoughts:

1. Fifteen years of cabbagehood is far too long for anybody.

2. Life is not always a precious gift. I nearly bit it eleven years ago, and even though it seemed at the time that life wasn't worth living, I've been pleasantly surprised since then; I'm really, really glad I stuck around. But it's extraordinarily narrowminded to perceive life as Always Worth Saving All The Time. If a crack addict gets pregnant and is carrying a fetus with hydrocephalia and a cleft palate -- well, hey, it's up to her, but I'd advocate abortion in that case. You know? Life is full of miracles, but it's also full of excruciating pain and suffering. Many conservatives don't seem to care about that second part.

3. Am I my brother's keeper? Do I have the right to decide what anyone else gets to do with their minds and bodies, such as pumping them full of poisons or jumping off a bridge? HELL NO.

4. I have some empathy for the parents who can't bear to let their daughter die, but I'd have more if they didn't fabricate bullshit stories about the daughter saying "I want to live" when her feeding tube is removed, after FIFTEEN YEARS of saying not one word. Come on.

5. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. If you can. If you want to. It's gonna die anyway, but knock yourself out. Just don't let other people do the raging for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home