Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

15 May 2005

It's a busy day, and I'm wearing a vest.

I need a bit of assistance here. I'm editing my smutty novel for the nth and hopefully final time before I go agent-fishing, and there's a detail I'm hoping someone will be able to help me correct.

There is a scene near the end of the book that takes place in London in the early 1980s. In the scene, two characters go to an apartment building somewhere in the city. I describe the street as being a row of brick tenements -- too tidy to be a slum, but clearly a rung or two below middle class. Since I've never been to London and know virtually nothing about it except that it's got blokes and lorries and stuff, I have no idea where a place like this might be located. Or even if there is a place like this.

I'd like to replace the placeholder name I gave this street with an actual street name, and/or the name of a neighborhood or area of the city where such a street might be. If you have access to this kind of information, or have any idea how I might be able to access it, I'd muchly appreciate being clued in.

Clue me in.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wesley said...

Criminy. You'd think one of my co-workers *here in London* could help here, but they seem to be deaf to my pleas on your behalf, other than making the somewhat condescending remark of "most of London is like that".

Are you looking for football-riot working-class, or somewhere an expat of meager means might live?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

Hmm. Working-class Paki digs is what I'm after. Steady job, not on the dole, but not much hope of upward mobility either.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

North Finchley. I don't know a street name, but I've been to North Finchley, and it's like that. I don't know if North Finchley is, strictly speaking, a neighborhood of London or a suburb, but it seems to be a part of the city -- the subway goes there.

I kind of agree with Wess's coworkers (since I spent two weeks there and I'm such an EXPERT!) that most of London IS LIKE THAT! That's certainly part of the charm of London.

-Frederika

6:55 AM  
Blogger Wesley said...

OK. I'm going to do some North Finchley recon for you. It might not be immediate, and I need to lay my hands on a digital camera, but I'll find you a street.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

I've got the bestest confederates in the whole wide English-speaking world! Thanks, guyses.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home