Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

15 May 2005

It's a busy day, and I'm wearing a vest.

I need a bit of assistance here. I'm editing my smutty novel for the nth and hopefully final time before I go agent-fishing, and there's a detail I'm hoping someone will be able to help me correct.

There is a scene near the end of the book that takes place in London in the early 1980s. In the scene, two characters go to an apartment building somewhere in the city. I describe the street as being a row of brick tenements -- too tidy to be a slum, but clearly a rung or two below middle class. Since I've never been to London and know virtually nothing about it except that it's got blokes and lorries and stuff, I have no idea where a place like this might be located. Or even if there is a place like this.

I'd like to replace the placeholder name I gave this street with an actual street name, and/or the name of a neighborhood or area of the city where such a street might be. If you have access to this kind of information, or have any idea how I might be able to access it, I'd muchly appreciate being clued in.

Clue me in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Felix Helix said...

Hmm. Working-class Paki digs is what I'm after. Steady job, not on the dole, but not much hope of upward mobility either.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

North Finchley. I don't know a street name, but I've been to North Finchley, and it's like that. I don't know if North Finchley is, strictly speaking, a neighborhood of London or a suburb, but it seems to be a part of the city -- the subway goes there.

I kind of agree with Wess's coworkers (since I spent two weeks there and I'm such an EXPERT!) that most of London IS LIKE THAT! That's certainly part of the charm of London.

-Frederika

6:55 AM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

I've got the bestest confederates in the whole wide English-speaking world! Thanks, guyses.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home