Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

14 November 2005

And I will say this at the risk of falling from favor.

Twelve years ago tonight, life almost ended for me.

But it didn't. And I'm still here.

When the temperature falls and the night comes early, people stay indoors to keep warm and turn on all the lights against the darkness. Winter can be hard. You survive if you stay together.

I light a candle of my own every year on this night. It's dark outside but I'm still here, still alive. Tonight I look back on twelve years since the nadir. On everything I would have missed if I had died. There is so much -- so much I had no way of knowing was possible.

I give thanks for my family and my friends, the people who care about me, the people who worked to keep me alive. I am so fortunate, and so grateful.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not that i was there 12 years ago, but as an ER nurse - thats what we do for everyone. hopefully some of the people I've helped keep alive will feel this same way years from now. = elyzabeth

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're alive, Wingfinger.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for freaking me the fuck out 12 years ago. Hope it didn't show too much. As corny as it sounds, I learned a lot. Love you, and glad you're alive.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

Yeah, me too.

Sorry about freaking you out, Anh. You handled it with aplomb, as with everything, always. I learned a lot, too. Namely: the M*A*S*H theme song was wrong.

Thanks, everyone.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home