Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

01 March 2006

She's making me feel like I've never been born.

I took myself out for oysters and onion soup, and then played the open mic at the local coffeehouse. Kev has loaned me his copy of the Complete Beatles Chordbook, and I've been wildly happily learning songs right and left. Tonight I played "Baby's In Black" and "She Said She Said" (deeply satisfying three-chord rockouts -- love that A7), and closed with "Julia". I was awesome. I'm just sayin' it, it's true. I busted out three killer songs tonight and I got applause, and let me tell you, that stuff is nice. Still not as nice as the music, though.

Here's the first paragraph of a story I'm working on now:

In a country far away to the north, beyond the dim blue mountains that are higher than they look and stretch farther than they seem, like the sky, and that, like the sky, no one has ever crossed except the birds; on the other side of the dim blue mountains that, unlike most mountains, remain dim and blue even when you are close to them, down in a wide, dusty valley like a floor that has never been swept, a farmer named Peter lived alone in his weed-choked fields.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jemaleddin said...

Nice intro - the tone will settle down a bit in future paragraphs, right?

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Beatles and Beatles Mashups and can't seem to get "Run for your Life" out of my head because of "Black Beatles" from the Best of Bootie 2005 album. RfyL is a great song, but I don't think you can get away with playing it at open mic night - people would just think you're a sicko.

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, narrative enters into it at some point.

You like "Run For Your Life"? That's far and away my least favorite Beatles song ever -- one of my least favorite anybody songs, for that matter. Misogynisticexpialidocious.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jemaleddin said...

Oh, granted the subject matter is... ooky. But it's so catchy! And I like playing it for people whose experience with the Beatles ends with "Hold Your Hand" and "Yesterday." They manage to make domestic violence sound upbeat and fun.

(He says to the guy that made Possum Kingdom a post title the other day...)

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home