Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

06 March 2006

We made love like a pair of black wizards.

Well, I biffed it this year with the Oscar predictions. I was so sure Brokeback Mountain would sweep! Alas, no. Crash was a good film, but sometimes didactic -- I couldn't quite get away from the awareness that this was an "issue movie" with characters that said and did what was required to get a particular point across. Brokeback, while not the best movie of the year by any means, was considerably more subtle and more deeply observed. Oh well.

I came away from last night with six correct predictions, which wasn't enough to win the pool. Two faithful readers, Jemaleddin and Anh, are in a tie for first place with seven correct predictions each. Whoever breaks the tie by being the first to answer the following question will win a bar of gourmet chocolate wrapped in a custom-written poem. Here's the question:

Which comedy, released the year of the John F. Kennedy assassination, includes a cameo from a legend of silent films who was known for his poker face?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jemaleddin said...

Is it "It's a Mad(x4) World"? I'm assuming that the poker-face reference is to Buster Keaton.

I can't believe that I got 7 right. Especially since I can't remember who I voted for and didn't see anything this past year except Star Wars, Serenity and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say the Nutty Professor. And Brokeback should have sweeped. Did you find Reese Witherspoon's acceptance speech repugnant in light of her co-nominee Felicity Huffman? She must have said "Real Woman" four or five times. I want to see TransAmerica right now. and then Capote.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Jemaleddin said...

Hey, it's not like Felicity's a transsexual. Or if she is, she sure has me fooled. =-)

What bothered me was that I could just see Reese practicing that speech in the mirror with a brush for the last 18 years, which would be okay except that, while I like Reese, I often have a hard time telling when she's being genuine and when she seems like a calculating shrew. You know?

Darned cute though.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right! It did seem rehearsed, and that really put me off. Ew. But at least she wore a better dress than that unfortunate Chanel number she stole from Joan of Arc's closet for that last awards show.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

I left a comment before, and I don't know why it didn't take. Take two. Jemal wins the contest by virtue of being right; it is indeed "A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad (but not very funny) World" that stars, among hundreds of others, Buster Keaton.

Congrajemalations!

To collect your prize, you have only to email me your address, your desired topic/style/whatever of poem, and whether you prefer milk chocolate or dark.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL You still owe me a poem for my wedding anyway Yosha.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

Oh my deity, that's right! I still have it hanging around my hard drive, half-finished. The finished half is pretty good, but I ran out of steam and time. I'll have to take another look at it.

Jemal? You out there, Mr. Winningpants?

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jemaleddin said...

Yeah, I'm here. I'm just pondering my prize - it's going to be dark chocolate, for sure, but the poem is a tougher choice. Sestina? Sonnet? Limerick? And what subject? Man's inhumanity to man? America's Next Top Model? What to do, what to do?

Man, requesting a sestina would make me a real bastard,wouldn't it. I guess that's right out.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

Oh, go ahead. Be a bastard. I could use the challenge -- I haven't written a poem in more than a year now, so why not put the dagger of formalism between my snarling teeth and leap off the gangplank? I have no idea what that metaphor is all about. Avast!

I could try to write a sestina about man's inhumanity to America's Next Top Model...

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home