Name:
Location: St. Vincent & Grenadines

You were driving home in the dark on one glass-slippered heel, window sliced open and bathing in the snowliquor of the night air. We heard you singing, and couldn't bear to wake you.

04 March 2007

It's still burning in my mind. I watched it three or four days ago, and I can't stop thinking about it. Art can be great for lots of different reasons, but my favorite reason is that it sometimes redefines the boundaries of your awareness. So much of the way we change is invisible, unmeasurable, which is good, but still there is a sense of loss I feel at how much I've forgotten. And a hard, beautiful, painful, exquisite pleasure/regret when memory stutters out punctuation on the page of my brain.

Memory is not just the record of your experience. Memory is notoriously unreliable, and that is because it is a story, fiction, which is not to say false. Awareness is subjectivity. I think, therefore I am not you. And yet when you show me something I've never seen, I recognize it. Why is that?

The film is George Washington. Don't ask any questions, just put it in your queue or rent it at the local store, or even buy it sight unseen, because it's that good. I'll reimburse you immediately if you feel your money was wasted.

I know I recently rhapsodized about Junebug, so this doesn't seem like a new thing, but it is. Junebug is a very good movie. Very, very good. George Washington is something else. I've never seen anything like it. I am fiercely opposed to any attempt to summarize it. I don't want it to become anything other than what it already is. It popped like a firework in my brain, and I want you to have that experience, too.

If you need anything further, I refer you to Roger Ebert's review, which does it about as much justice as any verbal description could, which is to say virtually none. By the way, when you watch it, be sure to check out the extras and catch the short film A Day With The Boys by Clu Gulager, which was one of the inspirations for George Washington. You'll never see it anywhere else, and it's amazing, hallucinatory, brilliant. There are some things that words can't do.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this movie on my queue, along with the same filmmaker's second film, All the Real Girls. It sounds like I need to bump them up.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Felix Helix said...

Haven't seen AtRG, though I've heard good things. I'll definitely be checking it out now.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that George Washington is just a live-action version of this story:

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=1003

Because that would be awesome.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,
you need to update your blog already....

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to admit, in the time since you updated your blog, I've see this George Washington movie... and I don't like it much. I didn't find it realistic. Sorry!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home